Yorkhill Housing Association Limited
0141 285 7910
Return to List of Archived News Stories

Keep warm this winter

Affordable Warmth Dividend Guidance

What is the Affordable Warmth Dividend?

The Affordable Warmth Dividend is a £100 payment made by the Council to Glasgow residents who are 80 years of age and older on or before 31 March 2018 to keep warm during winter.

Who is eligible for the Affordable Warmth Dividend?

All residents who are 80 years of age or over by 31 March 2018 and living in Glasgow.

Did you receive a payment last year?

If you received a payment last year then you will automatically receive this again. You will be sent a letter advising you when your payment will be made.  You do not need to apply.

If you did not receive a payment last year

If we can identify from our records that you are eligible for the payment you will automatically be sent an application form which you should complete and submit.

If you have not received any correspondence from Glasgow City Council by Friday 17 November 2017 then you will have to complete and submit an application form.

How can I make an application?

Application forms are available from:

  • The Council’s website at :- www.glasgow.gov.uk/awd
  • Telephone      0141 287 7961
  • The      following Revenue and Benefit offices:
    • City Centre       Service Desk, 45 John Street, G1 1JE
    • Govan, 780       Govan Road, G51 2YL
    • Parkhead,       125 Westmuir Street, G31 5EX

if you would like to post in your completed application please return it to:

Glasgow City Council

P.O. Box 36


G1 1JE 

How long will the scheme be available?

Applications will be accepted from 1 November 2017 until 31 March 2018.  We are unable to accept applications received after this date.

How will payments be made?

The preferred method of payment is by BACS directly into your Bank Account, however if you only have a post office account an alternative payment can be arranged.


When will the payment be made?


The Council will aim to make a payment to you in the month after we receive your application.


What evidence is needed to support your claim?


If you receive Housing Benefit or Council Tax Reduction, you do not need to supply any evidence to support your claim. 


If you do not receive either of these, you will be required to supply proof of your date of birth and proof of your residency in Glasgow.  Examples of proof include:-


  • a letter from the Department of Work and Pensions that confirms your address                  
  • birth certificate
  • passport
    • driving licence
    • utilities bill, bank statement or similar documents confirming residency at a given address
  • pension award letter


If you are unable to provide the above evidence but have other documents that confirm your age and your address please take them to your local Revenues and Benefits Centre.  Or you can post them with your completed application and the Affordable Warmth Dividend claim will be considered.

Is the claim limited to one person in a household?

No.  Anyone who meets the criteria can apply, including those living in residential homes and hospitals.

Can someone apply on my behalf?

Yes, someone can apply on your behalf if you write their details in the section at the bottom of the form.

You can either complete the rest of the form or ask your nominated person to do it for you.  However, you should still sign and date the application form.

Where can I find out more information?

You can get more information from our website at www.glasgow.gov.uk/awd or phone 0141 287 7961 or visit any local Revenue and Benefits Centre or the City Centre Service Desk at 45 John Street, Glasgow, G1 1JE.